Tribuna: - Is it true that the Government is elaborating a Strategy for settlement of the Transnistrian problem?
Eugen Carpov: – Elaboration of the Strategy for country’s reintegration is provided for in the Program of activity of the Government of the Republic of Moldova for 2011-2014. We need a strategy that would be based on a pragmatic approach and concrete actions directed to dismantle the obstacles for the state’s reintegration and liquidation of the consequences of forced isolation of the inhabitants of the Eastern region of the Republic of Moldova.
- Who is elaborating it and when will this Strategy be ready?
- It is obvious that elaboration of the Strategy for the country’s reintegration requires involvement of all central public institutions and civil society. A concept is now being developed by the community of experts. Later on, the reintegration Bureau will organize the information that will come, on the grounds of which the actual process for development of the draft Strategy will start. Year 2011 is the deadline for development of this Strategy.
- What will be the basic pillars and will the Law approved on July 22, 2005 on the basic principles for the Transnistrian settlement be considered.
- The Transnistrian conflict settlement process, within its basic dimensions – political and social-economic –, aims at reestablishment of the country’s independence and territorial reintegration, including reconstruction of single spaces: political, constitutional, economic, social, humanitarian, security, and defense. Actions on all levels will be carried out, for the sustainable and holistic settlement of the main problem in the conflict, which is development and approval of the special legal statute of the Transnistrian region based on the Republic of Moldova’s sovereignty and territorial integrity. The Law on the special legal statute of the settlements on the left bank of Nistru river (Transnistria), unanimously approved by the Parliament of the Republic of Moldova on July 22, 2005, a relevant document when it comes to defining the elements of political settlement of the Transnistrian conflict. At the same time, the authorities in Chisinau are aware of the complexity of the settlement process, which requires flexibility and predisposes to a compromise-based solution.
- Will the Strategy consult the participants in the negotiations process, including Tiraspol?
- It is important to mention that we have full support of our international partners for the development of the respective document, especially that of the European Union. Regarding Tiraspol, participation will be possible once the official negotiations in the ‘5+2’ format will resume, when the special legal statute of the Transnistrian region within the Republic of Moldova will need to be elaborated.
- Will the Strategy be approved by the Parliament or by the Government?
After the draft of the Strategy will be developed, it may be presented for debates to representatives of the academia and civil society, after which it follows to be presented to the Supreme Security Council. Decisions at other levels will be taken only afterwards.